Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Diabetes progression and prevention

Q: Ginny,

I have read several obits lately indicating people have died from complications of type 2 diabetes, which I have had for a little over a year. I have my A1c level down to 5.8 and have lost 35 lbs. If I continue to eat sensibly and keep my Alc level in acceptable range will I avoid those complications? Or will my condition worsen?

Thank you for your info,
Judy

A: Judy, You have done a great job! Remember, the leading cause of complications (blindness, end-stage renal disease, and non-tramatic amputations) is not diabetes. The leading cause is UNCONTROLLED diabetes.

We do not know if your body will need more assistance, with more or different medications as time goes on, but your meter will help you. As you test your blood sugar levels you will be able to track whether the numbers continue to be safe. If the numbers become unsafe, you and your physician will be able to decide what the next step for you should be.

Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is Ginny?

Ginny Burns is a local nurse who has worked with people who have diabetes for the last 20 years. She is credited with years of dedication to the American Diabetes Association and Utah Association of Diabetes Educators. She also brings the invaluable experience of having Type 1 diabetes for 39 years which makes her a unique resource to answer your questions.