Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Diabetes Diet and Insurance Issues

Q: Ginny,

My name is Jennifer, and I'm pretty sure I have Type II Diabetes. My HgA1C was last checked two years ago, and it was 5.9. My doctor told me I'd be diagnosed at 6.0, so I haven't had it rechecked because I don't have insurance and if I'm diagnosed, I'll never have insurance. My husband's employer doesn't offer group insurance.

Anyway, I am about 40-50 lbs. overweight, and I have the basic knowledge of what I should be eating, but I don't want to. I have no desire for healthy food whatsoever. I not only have no desire for it, it sometimes makes me feel sick. I know it's backwards, and I really need to get a handle on my cravings, but they've been out of hand for about eight years and I've never been able to beat them.

I cannot do moderation. I try and I end up eating 1 lb. of chocolate or more. Chocolate is the main problem. I know I'm not healthy and I know that I need to be conscious of my eating not only for weight control, but to control my diabetes.

Can you recommend a dietician who has had experience with addictions and might not charge too much for consultations? I need to do something. Thanks.

Jennifer

A: You are right that you need to do something. Can you go to a clinic and get a blood test? There are low cost or free clinics that may be able to test you.

Check with the

  • University of Utah Med Center at 801-581-2121;
  • Maliheh clinic at 415 East 3900 South at 801-266-3700; or
  • Sorenson Clinic at 855 California Avenue at 801-977-0502.

If your physician is in a clinic and you want to continue to see him/her, please apply for financial assistance. You need some information about what is happening to your body so you will know where to begin.

Sometimes when blood sugar levels are high, people become very hungry and describe the same symptoms you have described in your letter. The best place to start, I think, is to see if you have diabetes and what your blood sugar readings are. Anyone who can help you with a diagnosis will be able to direct you to a dietician.

Find out if you have diabetes first, o.k.? Remember, knowledge is power!!!

Good luck to you, Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is Ginny?

Ginny Burns is a local nurse who has worked with people who have diabetes for the last 20 years. She is credited with years of dedication to the American Diabetes Association and Utah Association of Diabetes Educators. She also brings the invaluable experience of having Type 1 diabetes for 39 years which makes her a unique resource to answer your questions.